Friday, October 30, 2015

A Crochet Lace Modesty Panel You'll Want to Try


I have several v-neck shirts with necklines that plunge a little too much for my taste. They've been sent away to the darkness that is the back of the closet, never to be seen or heard from again. 

Since I'm trying to be thrifty - and overall wise about my purchases - I've decided to give those shirts another chance. I knew that a modesty panel could be made of fabric. There are even many cheap kinds available on ebay that attach to the bra straps, which seem fairly easy to use. However, those also don't look very attractive. They're usually really plain (and I fear, will probably fall apart quickly).

 Of course, My personal go-to for this project was crochet. This particular panel is for stitching permanently into the shirt. I specifically designed it with a more solid design. I wanted it to look pretty, of course, but I also wanted it to cover up well. The result was a panel I could make quickly, easily, and that would look good in all my my different shirts and blouses.




Making the Panel

Measurements: Panel measures 6 inches across, with a 5 inch drop.

Here's what you'll need...

1. Size 10 thread (I used Aunt Lydia's)
2. Size 7  (1.65 mm) crochet hook
3. Scissors
4. Embroidery needle (or a smaller hook for weaving in the ends)

...Below is the diagram of the panel, followed by the written instructions.


Instructions:

Begin: Ch 11.

Row 1: Skip 4 ch. All into the 5th ch, make Dc1, Ch1, Dc1 (this is called a v-stitch).
             Skip 2 ch. V-stitch in next. Again, skip 2 ch. All into the last, make v-stitch, Ch1, Dc1. Turn.

Row 2: Ch 4 and Dc into the 1st ch-1 opening. V-stitch in every remaining ch-1 opening, and also into the ch-4 opening at the end - total 5 v-stitches. Turn.

Row 3: Ch 4 and V-stitch into the 1st ch-1 opening. V-stitch in every remaining ch-1 opening. All into the ch-4 opening at the end, make a v-stitch, Ch1, Dc1. Turn.

Row 4: Repeat Row 2 - total 7 v-stitches

Row 5: Repeat Row 3.

Row 6: Repeat Row 2 - total 9 v-stitches

Row 7: Repeat Row 3.

Row 8: Repeat Row 2 - total 11 v-stitches

Row 9: Repeat Row 3.

Row 10: Repeat Row 2 - total 13 v-stitches

Row 11: Repeat Row 3.

Row 12: Repeat Row 2 - total 15 v-stitches

Row 13: Repeat Row 3.

Row 14: Repeat Row 2 - total 17 v-stitches

Row 15: Ch 3. All into the first ch-1 opening, make Dc2, Ch1, Dc2 (this is called a shell).
     [ [ Ch1, and skip the 1st ch-1 opening. Into the 2nd ch-1 opening, make a Shell ] ]
     Repeat instructions in brackets til end - total 9 shells. At end make Dc where the last shell was 
     made. Turn

Row 16: Ch 3. All into the first ch-1 opening, make a shell.
     [ [ Ch1, and make a shell on top of the next Shell. ] ]
     Repeat instructions in brackets til end - total 9 shells. At end make Dc where the last shell was 
     made. Turn.

Row 17: Ch 3. All into the first ch-1 opening, make Dc2, picot, Dc2 .
     [ [ Ch1, and make Dc2, picot, Dc2 on top of the next Shell ] ]
     Repeat instructions in brackets til end - total 9 shells. At end make Dc where the last shell was 
     made. Turn. 

Finishing: Weave in the ends using the embroidery needle, or a smaller crochet hook.




So there you have it, that's how you make these little modesty panels. I hope you'll have as much fun making these as I did. 


No comments:

Post a Comment