Thursday, June 4, 2015

Pattern: Crochet Popcorn Stitch Potholder




I recently found this potholder in my crochet stash after a long and frustrating search. After my boyfriend and I moved to our new place I’ve been having a hard time finding the things I need in the kitchen, so when I found this lovely little potholder I totally did the happy dance.

This little thing is perfect for those times when I just want to put the pot or skillet on the table and just let everyone serve themselves. I made it out of cotton yarn, so it washes easily and doesn’t melt like acrylic yarn does when it’s exposed to high heat. I’m considering making several more for when company comes over (it’s handy to have nice clean ones ready for those sudden get-togethers), and I’ll probably make some as gifts for friends.

I’m including the pattern below for anyone who wants to make some. If you have any questions about the pattern or the design, feel free to comment. You need to already know how to make the popcorn stitch, and already know the basics of crochet. Enjoy!

Popcorn Stitch Crochet Potholder
Materials: total 3 oz Sugar & Cream Cotton yarn, H hook, yarn needle, scissors.
Difficulty: Easy/Intermediate

FRONT:
**Note: Rep= repeat whatever is in the brackets

Begin / R 1: On magic loop, Ch 3. DC 15 around – tot 16 st. Sl st to join.

R 2:  [Popcorn on 1st st. DC 2 on nxt DC] Rep 8 times, Sl st to join.

R 3:  [Popcorn on top of popcorn. DC 2 on each of nxt 2 DC] Rep 8 times, Sl st to join.

R 4:  [Popcorn on top of popcorn. DC 2 on nxt DC, DC nxt 2, DC 2 on nxt DC] Rep 8 times, Sl st to join.

R 5:  [Popcorn on top of popcorn. DC 2 on nxt DC, DC nxt 4, DC 2 on nxt DC] Rep 8 times, Sl st to join.

R 6:  [Popcorn on top of popcorn. DC 2 on nxt DC, DC nxt 6, DC 2 on nxt DC] Rep 8 times, Sl st to join.

R 7: Ch 1. SC in same. SC nxt 10 st. [SC 2 on popcorn. SC nxt 10 st] Rep til end – tot 96 st. Sl st to join. Tie off & weave in ends.

BACK:
**Note… V-stitch= [DC, CH 1, DC] all on the same st.

Begin / R 1: On magic loop, Ch 3. DC 15 around – tot 16 st. Sl st to join.

R 2:  Ch 4, DC in same & DC nxt st. [V-stitch in nxt & DC in nxt] Rep til end. Sl st to join.

R 3:  Ch 4, DC in CH-1 opening & DC nxt 3 st. [V-stitch in nxt CH-1 opening & DC nxt 3 st] Rep til end. Sl st to join.

R 4:  Ch 4, DC in CH-1 opening & DC nxt 5 st. [V-stitch in nxt CH-1 opening & DC nxt 5 st] Rep til end. Sl st to join.

R 5:  Ch 4, DC in CH-1 opening & DC nxt 7 st. [V-stitch in nxt CH-1 opening & DC nxt 7 st] Rep til end. Sl st to join.

R 6:  Ch 4, DC in CH-1 opening & DC nxt 9 st. [V-stitch in nxt CH-1 opening & DC nxt 9 st] Rep til end. Sl st to join.

R 7:  Ch 1, HDC in CH-1 opening & HDC nxt 11 st. [HDC in nxt CH-1 opening & HDC nxt 11 st] Rep til end – tot 96 st. Sl st to join. Tie off & weave in ends.

JOINING:
Line up the two pieces. Stitch them together with a SC stitch all the way around. Optional: Make a loop to hang it with, by adding a short chain-length.


I hope you like this pattern. I'll be posting more patterns soon. I'll also be sharing lots of crochet advice and updates on my many projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment